Monday, 8 June 2009

I really like the initial ideas so far. I know I’ve mentioned a couple of things to a few people about the style of the piece regarding the cinematography. The way I see it is there are three areas to be covered- the ‘real’ world, the cctv footage, and the dream/sopa-operaesque sequences. I think there’s a lot of space to experiment with different styles/techniques.

With the cctv scenes I thought it would be nice to use super 8mm or pixel vision as opposed to shooting digital and adding cctv effects which look shitty (not in a good way). I think I spoke to a few people about the idea of shooting some of it in 16mm at 12fps, then optically printing back up to 24fps to get a blurry/dreamlike image. It’s a technique that Christopher Doyle has used in Happy Together (which I recommend you all see if you haven’t already.) The only issue with this is that it can be pretty time consuming and considering the fact that we have to have the footage playing on the screen during the shoot means we’d have to get the cctv scenes shot, processed an edited to be used in our shoot which might not be a possibility. That leaves us with either super 8mm or pixel vision- both are doable and fairly cheap

Example of pixelvision:

Happy Together- example of optically printing 12fps to 24fps (it's only the first 7 seconds of the clip but you get the idea)

I also like the stills of the hallway- me and a friend made a film a long while ago about a guy who has agoraphobia and only goes out early in the morning when no one else is around. Kind of a similar idea to what this is about. The reason I mention it is that I really liked the location and it would be cool to use somewhere similar in our film.

Here is a clip shot on lovely super8 and videoed from a projector screen. (I especially like the lift).



At the start he's looking through a peep hole, not kissing the door.


Hope everyone is good.


Jon


x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.